Friday, May 3, 2013

wayang and gamelan

Tonight I went to an event with some wayang and gamelan. It was to promote some books on wayang that are being published here--a six book series with 35 hours of video.
Part of gamelan set

Wayang projected on wall as a film

Wayang screen

This is so embarrassing that I'm not going to spend the time to orient the photo properly

Line-up of wayang kulit

I think most wayang screens are called layar but for wayang kulit I guess they're called kelir.

Tennessee Williams did a sort of wayangy thing with scrims in his plays

The front--or the back?

The back--or the front?

Speeches given in 80% Javanese with just enough Indonesian thrown in to make me think it was Indonesian and that I was just having a bad time understanding what was going on.

Refreshments: boiled peanuts, boiled bananas, and rice stuffed with sweet  meat, wrapped in leaves.

No comments: