Monday, May 6, 2013

Walking in Jakarta


Just walking around doing some things today and taking some pictures. 


The street I walked along this morning on my way to talk to some acquaintances

A pondok in the neighborhood

I don't know what's more pictureque, the bajaj or the banyan


A rumah makan where I ate a few days ago

The man was tenderly caressing a cat that was sitting in his lap. Then I asked if I could take a picture of the idyllic scene. And he did me the favor of forcing the cat to pose. Precious moments.

I thought of you mom when I saw these plumerias.

There was a man relaxing in the shade, and as I walked by, a lizard leaped from out of nowhere and landed on his head! The man kept relaxing, so I had to take a picture. When I saw this lizard I thought of W, who will wonder when he sees the picture, "Why didn't you catch that lizard dad?"

And he kept relaxing, so I had to take another one. Finally, he noticed the lizard and shewed it away. I asked if it was okay that I took a picture and he said yes. (In a city of 10 million people, how many people have a lizard on their head at a one moment?)


It's a commentary on my plebian lifestyle that I haven't heard of this retailer.

I went to a "mall" with many levels.

Many more beyond that. I don't even think there's a correspondence between the malls in the US towns I've been to, as compared to the malls here in Jakarta.


An area of the mall.


A building that looked like a light house.






5 comments:

eNJay & B said...

hey b, the pic of the announcement of your wright presentation, is that at the mall too? is that where you're giving your presentation?

to make you feel better, i haven't heard of that hoidy-toidy retailer either.

eNJay & B said...

Yeah, that's the place, at the mall. I'll have to open up a new space on my CV. Right now I've got "Scholarly Presentations" and "Teaching Presentations." When I get back, I'll add "Retail Presentations."

Emily said...

Wow. Retail Presentations. At such a Retail Corridor @america. p.s. Is Pasaraya still in existence?

eNJay & B said...

Yup, Pasar Raya's still here. Am waiting for eNJay before I go. Would be less glamorous to give a retail presentation at PR!

Cate said...

Oh Brian, nice pics. Lucky, lucky boy. :) See lizards, gigantic malls, and so much more.