Saturday, May 4, 2013

Kemang and Bika Ambon

Today I went to go talk with some people in the Kemang area of Jakarta. It was a good chance to stop by K Club Villas, so I left for Kemang a little early to visit an old home my family used to live in when I was growing up.
In the compound of opulent K Club Villas

In the compound, I see the my first rat (living or dead) in Jakarta, ever. Obviously, it's not because Jakarta is clean. Maybe few rats because of so many cats. 

A Kemang coffee house that's self-conscious about its geographical situation.

A bird at a Kemang warung

A caged bird at a Kemang home, whose penjaga invited me to talk with him in the driveway

Not sure but think this is a warbler from America. Next cage had a chickadee in it.  US birds never make it into cages in the US, since there's a law against those types of things.

Driving into Kemang on the street leading to the Villas

The car eNjay keeps trying to convince me to buy.

K Club Villas

Extra picture of outer compound since despite my best persuasive speeches in Indonesian, I was unable to get  into the  compound within the compound to see my old rumah.

My Hero

The only picture I was able to take inside hero before being delicately yet aggressively told to put the camera away.

Jalan tenang di Kemang

Jalan tenang


House with bird cages, and the bika ambon I carried as I left Kemang and got in the taxi.

4 comments:

cate said...

Dad and I enjoyed looking at your pics. Again, amazing how much it looks just as I remembered it! When seeing the Hero picture, Dad thought you might should get more Hero glasses. ;) I wonder if they still make them? When seeing the rat, Dad commented, "Brian should pick it up by the tail and tell the jagas in the inner kemang club that he is a sanitary inspector and need to get in to find the nest and fix the problem." ;) Ohhh, we are so happy for you and trust that you are making "happy memory". I can't remember the quote on the Carita Beach t-shirt. Can you tell me? Love you!

Emily said...

"One day in your life you will always remember happy memory. Carita, nice beach." Today is that day.

cate said...

Emily, thank you for helping with that quote. Its was consuming too much of mind. :)

Whitney said...

This is so neat! I especially liked the picture of the Hero.