Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Around town

I have to admit, I was getting a little discouraged with the food I was finding here. The other day I went to what was alleged to be a great sate house, but they gave a mixed bag when it came to tusuks of sate. Some had chicken on the sticks, and some sticks had only chicken skin. Bleh, even with peanut sauce.

But today I wandered into a restaurant and ordered sate and it was good, in good peanut sauce. Some of the best sate I've enjoyed. And then I went to the mall today to present something and afterwards was hungry since I hadn't eaten before. So I malingered around the mall and found a mall-fied version of Jakarta street food. I got some ketoprak: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketoprak_Jakarta And it was good peanut sauce again. Whew! I was getting worried.

I took a few pictures of places today.





My stuff sloppily sprawled on a table with Indonesian literary critic HB Jassin in the portrait (even if Mochtar Lubis did call him a "doubtful" critic)

Several trophies on top of a card catalog 

Wanted to get a pic of Beard Papa's's sign. 

Some may remember the old Kem Chicks. The new Kem Chicks doesn't remember you. It's just the hard truth.

1 comment:

eNJay & B said...

i can't wait to eat some of that best sate, b. i'm glad you found some of the good stuff!