Thursday, May 9, 2013

Indonesian Holiday

Since it was a holiday today, I couldn't go to some of the places I normally go, so I went around town and visited several other places. Here are some pictures.


I went to this area looking for stamps, which W and S wanted me to pick up, since they've both started collecting stamps.

Bought a stamp book with some stamps in it from this man.


And a stamp book from this woman


he kindly gave me directions on where to find more stamps

Big mosque in this city

the mosque's sign

sama


At a flea market, supposedly colonial-era coins show up in large numbers. 


This one would be worth hundreds if it were real


Here's the other side

stalls with a lot of carved wood

antique grammophone

some detail

a long view

stall


I was assured that large items like this life-sized statue were easy to transport back to the US


Another service in the area

the making of an antique

big department store




thinking about a chain of islands

great and appropriate that the English notion of "homeland" has its corresponding notion as "tanah air" or earth water 

underground shopping

underground food court

the motorcycle parking lot


love birds?

a parrot from unknown parts


owl

owl

I don't know what it is, but like most of these critters, I wish it could have stayed in the wild

baby monkey

with _asking_ price

of $80. Could be bargained down to 40 or 50 I'm sure.

these red-eared sliders are ubiquitous, from South Carolina to  Jakarta

sadly, a cage full of ba by ow ls

parrots

pretty bird

civet cat I think

I think this is the kind of monkey that once chased me in the jungle

turkeys

a stall with several snakes

more kura-kura


woodpecker
some domestic animals. There were a lot of cats also. Some big fluffy cats. Wouldn't want to be a fluffy cat in this heat.
this family stopped and said hello to me and I asked if I could take their picture


at the end of the animal market, the fruit market

grapes and salak

a park after the fruit market


a canal, above. 

another view of the owl

monkey

2 comments:

Emily said...

The animal market is as much of a wonder as it was when I was a child. But so much sadder to me now.

eNJay & B said...

I know what you mean. When I was a kid I just thought "Wow!" Now I look at it and I'm intrigued and sad for the animals and the habitat loss that's behind each of them