Monday, January 26, 2015

Arrival in Jakarta

Yesterday I arrived in Jakarta and got a taxi to a friend's house. I imagine many or most people who read this blog will know that I've received a fellowship to spend about six months in Indonesia, teaching at a university in Central Java, on the topic of American culture. In awhile, N, S, and W will be joining me here. I'll be staying in Jakarta for a few days before moving on to the city where my assigned university is at. Today I walked 8 kilometers out of a strange stubbornness not to hail one of many forms of transportation that I might have hailed. Boy it was hot. But I took some pictures as I walked.
The beginning of street scenes



I didn't eat here, but this food stall is named after a favorite food of mine. It does seem like the "food truck" fad in the US is spreading all over the world. I'm just kidding. 

It looks like I've hit Indonesia at the right time--rambutan season?


I took a few pictures at the rambutan stand. You can tell I'm a great admirer.


After I turned off of Benhil, I walked along Jalan Jendral Sudirman, which has glossier traffic jams than Benhil.


I did like this sign, and I wondered what it meant. 

This line of motorcycles never ends


This evening I had a meal of gado-gado and ikan goreng saus kecup

"I was humbled to eat this meal." I say that because I know it's a braggart's convention--analogous to selfies--to take pictures of our food in the 2010s. But I'm not bragging--I just want you to have a window into one of my humblest moments. Ever.



5 comments:

eNJay & B said...

the makanan looks enak enak! i am ready to enjoy some of that food. saya bisa makan makanan indonesia dengan bayik!

Cate said...

Glad to see that you have arrived safely. It's good to see pictures of Jakarta. It seems very clean in the pics. Is this the case? Do you think Jakarta could have a litter campaign at present. Oh, I wish you could just send a smell of the street. ;) The food looks splendid--with the exception of the fish. I just can't seem to get into eating fish with heads and tails. Norma, your Indonesian makes me proud.

David said...

Nice pics, man! I hope you eat plenty of rambutan and mangosteen.

eNJay & B said...

Thanks D and C and N! Yeah I was noticing that the pics do make Jakarta look clean. It must be a little cleaner than it was in the early 1990s. But I think if you were here you'd still recognize some of the characteristic dirt from the old days. Yes, looking forward to eating rambutan and mangosteen and as Norma says other makanan Indonesia.

Emily said...

I'm glad you arrived safe and I'm looking forward to reading more posts over the next 6 months. Keep on bragging with those photos, too.