Sunday, March 8, 2015

Practicing Everyday Life

I wanted to post some day-to-day pics this evening, hoping to catch the spirit of the time (our family's time) rather than documenting ancient carvings of the Ramayana. 

W and S in their school uniforms. They've got four different uniforms for MTWTh, and then Friday lets them dress as they care to.

The other evening we had sate, and W said we should get a picture. I ran into our room, which was still cool from the AC, and brought the camera out into the eating area. The gauziness in this and the following pic is the condensation on the camera from moving from the cool to the heat.




Here's a pic of me after N and I went running at a nearby stadium. We ran 5 kilometers. Note that I'm completely drenched from our 8am run.


Here are some mangosteen, a stray orange, and some dragon fruit in front of a woven banana basket.


Because we've remained pretty low-tech, not yet wanting to introduce constant internet access to our lives through our phones, S and W are finding a new world of technology among new friends here. 

Here's a pic of a toad W spotted one evening as we waited for a taksi near our kampung, or neighborhood/village.

Here's an ad for a movie about a kampung. A couple years ago, there was a visiting scholar at my university, and the scholar asked if anyone had any questions. A colleague asked, "Why zombies, why now?" The question was more memorable than the scholar's response.

The other evening we were guests at a play zone at a nearby mall. We forgot to bring the camera so we stopped by and took pics of the bumper cars we rode in earlier.

And here's the machine where W and S competed to see who could bust better moves in a dance-off to the Kpop hit "Fantastic Baby." I think it was all of our first taste of Kpop, and S didn't know what to make of it. She asked, "Mom was that a good song?" I don't know what answer she got, so I guess again the question was more memorable than the answer.

At the mall we saw a McDonalds that only serves ice cream.



W wanted me to get a picture of this. To him it seemed interesting to use the fish's head as part of the advertising.

Here some of us are, walking down our street. W and S are wearing backpacks that were given to us by a neighbor. Unfortunately, I texted the neighbor a thankyou note before opening the package. From the outside of the package, they had looked like a big fuzzy blanket to me. So I texted, "Thanks for the blanket." She texted back and said they were backpacks, not a blanket. So we had W and S wear them over to her house to make good. That's me, on the right, looking into the ditch at some fish swimming along.

No comments: