Saturday, August 2, 2008

Help! Your Input Needed



Years ago, now, my youngest brother and I started calling each other "Buddy." This moniker turned into "Mister Buddy." And the intonation we use while calling each other "Mister Buddy": that of an overly pious church man.

This history becomes relevant because last night at the DI, N and I found a shirt that says "VIP Buddy" on the front of it and "For Love of the Game on the Back." Given his nickname, this shirt seemed like a likely present for my youngest brother. So we bought it.

On the way home, we decided that the front of the shirt seemed immediatly relevant. But the back--"For Love of the Game"--seemed like a non-sequiter. After all, my youngest brother doesn't like sports. But, we remembered, he does like video games--a lot. So we decided that before giving the shirt to my brother, we could use a permanent marker to alter the back of the shirt so it says one of the following two phrases: 1) "For Love of the Video Game" or 2) "For Love of the Gameboy."

But we can't decide on which phrase to use and we need the help of our Gentle Readers, whether they happen to know my youngest brother or not. We're looking for campy, Gentle Readers. What seems more campy to you?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi B and N. I think "Video" is the best option. Surely, "Mister Buddy" will like that very well.

courtney said...

sorry to disagree with the first comment, but i'm kind of loving "for the love of the gameboy." is the first comment from "mister buddy" himself?

Cate said...

I, too, like the idea of the statement on the back declaring that we love the buddy or the Game Boy. Michael being that very boy. How would that be best recognized? Would you write "boy" on the next line so it wouldn't be confused with the game system? Would it be printed all in caps??

eNJay & B said...

Courtney, you're close in guessing the first comment was "Mister Buddy" himself, but the first comment is my "younger" but not "youngest" brother.

Cate, that's an interesting idea. I hadn't considered that Mister Buddy might be "the Game Boy." N and I had actually meant to refer to the Nintendo Game Boy. So that's nice it would have a double meaning.

Rich said...

Brian and Norma, Kristl and I were thrilled when we found our blog. And what good timing. I can see this is an important dilemma so I am honored to be able to weigh in. Might I add a third option? How about "For the love of the game, boy"? Works on several different levels.

K Cummings said...

Perhaps For the love of the gamer?

Aaron said...

I think it's campy enough in its unadulterated state. Camp is best preserved by keeping things in their original, almost unbelievable form.

Anonymous said...

I would say Gameboy hands down except Mister Buddy mocks the Gameboy. That, however, may be a plus.

Anonymous said...

I do not mock the Gameboy. Naomi mocks it by calling it a TV. I'm excited to see the final vote for the phrasing of the back, but reading the post left my stomach queasy -- Mister Buddy, don't you know sequitor is spelled with an o? Please! Everyone knows that deponent verbs have passive endings for active meanings, and that sequito simply has an -r tagged onto it.

Anonymous said...

One thing I love about being a cocky jerk is I'm still prone to make errors. We all need to maintain some degree of hypocrisy.

eNJay & B said...

Mister Buddy, Glad you found your way onto the blog so you could have a say in your own sartorial future. But I have to tell you, I won't privilege your opinion over that of any of the other worthies who have cast their ballots.

I didn't know that about "non-sequitor," and I didn't know you were were so prone to queasiness. What next, fainting spells?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I kind of like the sound of Rich's suggestion: For the love of the game, boy! Nice page btw. ;-) Frank

Anonymous said...

I guess I was the only one!