Thursday, January 15, 2009

going back to school



i started taking an intro to ceramics class last week. i just had my 2nd class yesterday, and i got onto the wheel again. it's definitely been a long time since the last time (almost ten years when i was a freshman at ricks), but it was fun. i also finished my first project yesterday. it's a pinch-pot that seems somewhat akin to mexican pottery. i'll have to keep that in mind when i glaze it. i think it turned out pretty well, so now i just have to get back on the wheel so i can get that down again too.

brian said that if i can make something as iconic as our toothbrush holder then the class will definitely be worth it. brian has always loved the toothbrush holder i made nearly ten years ago. it has certainly stood the test of time. i only hope i can make another truly classic piece that will be with us until at least 2019...

4 comments:

The Otis Family said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. I have never been one a wheel and would feel like a complete idiot but I would like to try someday. As for your comment about your tail bone I guess I missed that announcement. When did you fall? Take it easy getting back into running. Plantar fascitis is netorious for its nagging/lingering pain. Good shoes make a world of difference.

eNJay & B said...

i fell about a week and 1/2 ago. it was such a snowy day that day. but it might be a blessing since it has kept me from exercising and perhaps exacerbating the foot condition. blah! injuries are no fun.

Just Katy said...

I hope it goes well. I wrote off pottery early on since all the early projects were ashtrays. I thought, this art is useless to me unless I start smoking. If only you had been there to show me the ways of the tooth brush holder

courtney said...

looking forward to seeing your next creation! perhaps something turtle inspired?