Thursday, September 4, 2008

a good family weekend

we had a nice labor day weekend. brian's mom and sister came into town. so we went all around--hiking in the canyon, eating lots of mexican/salvadorenian food, going to the latino festival, hitting ikea and the farmer's market, having a cookout in our firepit. they both got to try maple bars for the first time and loved them (they really are so good).

brian also received his phd diploma, which was fun to see. since he didn't get to have an actual graduation ceremony (since he finished in august) we had a mock one for him: we all hummed the pomp and circumstance song while brian pomped around the room. it was good fun.


4 comments:

Amy said...

Wow, that sounds like an AWESOME weekend! and that's also a very impressive diploma! my diploma arrived very ceremoniously bent in the mail and still resides ceremoniously in the middle of our bookshelf somewhere. However, it is just my bachelors of science diploma. If I had an awesome PhD one I'd probably make larger than life copies and frame it all over the place, like in every room of the house and my office, etc. Congrats, Brian! Happy Labor day, guys!

Just Katy said...

Yeah, what a great time! That is one fancy diploma! I guess it should be for all you had to put into it. If it was mine, I would scan it and make a t-shirt that I could wear everywhere.

The Otis Family said...

Congrats on the diploma and being done with school? With Brian I don't know if he's ever done with school. Looks like a nice hike. I'd really like to do some hiking but it's still to blasted hot. Maybe by November/ December when you're getting snow we'll be out traipsing around the countryside.

Cate said...

It was a proud moment to see you with your diploma. And the picture is great. The third hand that you've grown that holds the diploma open is a great example of our body's ability to adapt to new situations. Again, congratulations!