Friday, August 16, 2013

up in the high uintas again

we went up into the high uintas again last weekend. we took our nephew, tyler, and our friend, emron. my brother and his family watched sierra. we knew we'd be doing a lot of hiking in a short period of time so we figured that would be for the best. and it was.

we got up at 4:30 and were on the road by 5. we saw the sun come up, which is always fun, and were on our way hiking to the first lake by shortly after 7am. we ended up going to 5 lakes--one of which had salamanders in it. we got snowed and hailed on. we each caught some good fish and had two meals of eating fresh cooked fish with spices (including mrs. dash) and lime juice. b found some escamoles (ant eggs) and ate those. we found a lot of ripe raspberries and huckleberries and even some blueberries. they were all so good.

we had a great time and felt tired by the time we pulled into the driveway at 10:30pm. it was another great day in the mountains.

 b, w, and emron looking at the salamanders.


 a new lake we had never been to before.

 b with a handful of escamoles.


 

 eating them. b's face really makes you want to run out and try some.

4 comments:

Whitney said...

The High Uintas look so beautiful. Your family takes so many neat trips.

Cate said...

Good times! However, eating ant eggs seems a little too adventurous for me. The other day your dad said that his gum lost its flavor and there wasn't any sense in chewing gum if it didn't taste good. I responded, Yes, that's why your favorite is tree sap. : )

Darson said...

Were the ant eggs that bad, or was your facial expression just affect? I have found ant eggs before, but didn't know I was supposed to eat them. I guess there's always next time . . .

Emily said...

Gross, ant eggs. I usually don't pass . . . but I would pass. I think. Unless this post was supposed to pose a challenge? In that case, it's on. Store your escam-anteggs 'till November when I visit.