Thursday, December 17, 2009

3 years

Yesterday was the third anniversary of my dad's death. Fortunately and unfortunately it's getting easier. It seems normal now. But the middle of December can't come around without me thinking about what was happening in 2006. On December 13 (Wednesday), I flew out to Utah. On December 16 (Saturday), he passed away quite peacefully around 3:45pm. Of course, I remember a lot that happened in between too. But, as time passes I don't remember as vividly as I used to. I know that's natural, but it's so strange that something that was so impressed in my mind could begin to fade. I'm glad I wrote a very detailed account of everything in my journal.

So, this December 16 I happened to be in the town where he's buried. I drove by the gravesite. It was lucky that I just happened to be up there (and, in fact, the cemetary was exactly on my way).

One of the neat things about having my dad pass away right before Christmas is that it makes me think of Christmas, the birth of Jesus, in a more holistic way. I can no longer just think of his birth--I think of his life, death, and resurrection. I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day has always been one of my favorite Christmas songs, but it is extremely poignant to me now. It's beautiful, and really gets what Christmas is all about.

4 comments:

Just Katy said...

Beautiful thoughts. I'm glad you got a chance to visit.

courtney said...

that is such a beautiful post. enough said.

Karolyn said...

My dad died right after Christmas 15 years ago. Like you, I'm glad I wrote things down when they happened. I'm forgetting a lot of things. I do like this time of year though.

The Otis Family said...

I am glad you are able to remember the fond memories. I too am forgetting things that happened. Enjoy your trip to TN.