Wednesday, December 31, 2008

holiday-time fun






brian and i had an enjoyable christmas break. last saturday, we went snowshoeing up rock canyon. it was our first time and was a lot of fun. we got a really good workout and didn't have to wear our big coats on the way up. but, as soon as we started back we had to put on our coats because all of the sudden the cold hit us. the snow and mountains were really beautiful. we even saw a mountain goat.

last sunday we made chiles en nogada, which are chiles stuffed with a pork/fruit/ spice mixture. and then they're topped with the nogada, which is a walnut/cheese/sour cream/spice/sugar sauce. then the pomogranate seeds go on top of that. brian made the nogada sauce this time and added a little extra sugar, and boy it was good. the whole dish was delicious. we've been enjoying eating that for the past few days.

on monday we went on a DI tour and hit 5 or 6 DIs in salt lake/american fork. we found some cool things and enjoyed our time rummaging through all those great DIs. one thing we found out is that books are cheaper in slc. we were at one place where the paperbacks were 3/$1. i haven't seen book prices that cheap since i used to get them for 4/$1 at the salvation army in oregon.

6 comments:

Rich and Kristl said...

I love your sweatshirt. Looks like it was a really fun hike.

Also, when things slow down a little bit here, I will email you and maybe we can set up seeing you all.
Happy New Year!

Jon and Becky said...

I would like to know the story behind your turtle ornament. I'd also like a blue punch.

Just Katy said...

I am consumed by jealousy. I LOVE snowshoeing. Aaron and I did this hike and now I forget where it is, but you can go up and sit on an old water tower up in the mountains. (It may be slightly less than legal but it is Such an amazing view) I'll have to ask Aaron if he remembers how to get to it. From there you can see all of the peaks to Park City. We went in the middle of winter and the snowy sunset was one of the most beautiful sights in my life.

Aaron said...

It's just the hike to Stuart Falls. There's a water tower off the side of the trail. Great view from the Water Tower of the Canyon, no doubt.

The Otis Family said...

I have always wanted to try snowshoeing. I'm told they do in the mtns of WA state but no one informed me of this until the day before we left.
I would love to run a Leslie family race. You're going to have to get your brother moving though. I don't know if you can.

Emily said...

Lucky!