Monday, July 28, 2008

my favorite things about utah

1) the mountains of course!

2) family and friends...we don't have to start from scratch out here.

3) the DI...they don't have the cheapest thrift store prices, but they do have a huge inventory.

4) it's arid (ie not humid) and the nights/mornings are cool.

5) the trout. we will one day get fishing licenses again, and we will have trout.

6) great hiking and birding. i was just thinking about how there are so many different kinds of hummingbirds out here. you can't get that in virginia. oh and the magpies, although we've been wondering where they are...

7) they actually sell maple bars here! provo bakery's maple bars aren't as good as taylor maid's back in oregon, but they're good. and i feel better knowing that i can always have ready access to maple bars when i need them.

8) the smell of rain in the desert. not much beats that smell of pure freshness.

9) yellowstone and the tetons are nearby again (not to mention all of the great parks in southern utah).

10) the bombay house and their mango ice cream. we sorely missed their mango ice cream while we were gone.

then of course there are so many other things (the fall, spring, and summer are great; there are lots of temples nearby; slc is close; ect, ect), but for now these are what come to my head.

8 comments:

Just Katy said...

I'm glad you found the Provo Bakery. Did you try the Bran muffins yet? Sooo good. Just thinking about them has my mouth watering like crazy!

And I think there's a really large bird festival in SLC come end of summer, beginning of fall that is supposed to correspond to the pelican migration. Have you heard anything about it??

eNJay & B said...

we haven't tried the bran muffins yet. we've only had their maple bars, which were a site for sore eyes.

i haven't hear of this bird festival, but i'll look into it. i remember learning about all the birds that migrate through utah when i read "refuge." utah really does have tons of birds. what a blessing.

courtney said...

why don't you rub it in a little more? here i am sitting in my humid, mountain-less, non-maple-bar-selling commonwealth and i am exremely jealous. we can't wait to come visit...

ps - welcome to the blogosphere!

The Otis Family said...

I would have to say that the mountains and cool summer evenings are what I'm jealous about. You'll have to take me to the bakery when I come out to visit. I can't remember the last time I've had a maple bar.

eNJay & B said...

kaye, yes i'll definitely take you out for a maple bar. i even noticed them last night at wal-mart. i seem to have stumbled upon a maple bar mecca. perhaps the only one outside of oregon.

Amy said...

hey guys! nice looking blog. i miss the bombay house and provo bakery!! I really miss provo a lot more than I expected. thankfully, i'm sure we'll be visiting often with Steve's parents living there. nice moose story, aaron.

did I tell you guys about the girl from my freshman year who wore heels to a campfire gathering up on squaw peek somewhere and a moose started chasing her and she tripped in the creek and like broke her cheek bone by landing on rocks? it's another great moose story. sounds like you guys found a less aggressive one, though! fun times!

how's the house hunting going? we miss you guys!

Cate said...

Oh, Norma . . . so glad that you have good list of things you like about your new/old environment. It does make it easier. I know how passionate you are about maples bars. I think I know what they are from my youth, but I don't frequent bakeries often. However Whitney did go to a cupcake bakery with Anna yesterday and brought home a couple of varieties of cupcakes to share. There are several cupcake bakeries here in Knoxville. They only sell cupcakes--its just the newest rage. Well, when I come out the end of the month, let's get maple bars : )

Anonymous said...

Norma! I need your new info. Your house is beautiful. What a view. I'm so happy for a change for all of you. Call me! I know life is busy but I'd love to hear about your adventures when you get a chance.