Thursday, May 28, 2015

We are taking selfies!

With travel to Australia and then two work weeks in Jakarta, I became disoriented in terms of the semester schedule. So disoriented that when I showed up to teach my two classes this week, I was surprised to learn from my co-teachers that it was the final day of class! (Some of the surprise isn't entirely my fault, since the semester schedule was never very firm, and it was always hard to nail down when exactly the last day of class would be.) So as an end to things in the upper-level course, we took some pictures.

This pic is actually from about midway through the semester. One day I showed up to class and saw two of my students hanging out several paces from the classroom door. They were laughing and seemed like they were trying to hide in plain sight if that makes sense. I walked over and one of them looked over at me and said, like he had been caught doing something wicked that he was at the same time proud of: "Mister Brian, we are taking selfies!" Then both of them laughed in what seemed like joyful embarrassment. I said, "Well you should take a selfie with me in it," and so he took one. Then a week or so later we talked in class about the way that the international interest in selfies might grow out of a structure of feeling produced by neoliberalism. The students again laughed like they were doing something wicked that they nonetheless felt proud of.



This week at the end we at first didn't have anyone to take our picture, so T took some pics because everyone knew he was the best at taking selfies.




But then we pulled someone in to take our picture.



No comments: